Tuesday 30 September 2008

Bitterjoy



I learnt this quote from a friend, "A Christian without pain is like a flower with rain".

I realize this applies not only to Christians, but to Artists and Designers as well. So does this mean a Christian Designer/Artist need an extra dosage of pain in their daily walk?

Sadistic as I might sound, I believe pain is food for the artist's soul.
Masochistic as I might sound, I believe pain brings joy to the artist's life.
Radical as I might sound, I believe pain is inspiration for the artist's work.

Healthy pain is what I'm referring to, though.

I have to stop running away from healthy pain, but embrace pain from now on.

Some people are meant to have lives that are plainly and innocently joyful. Yet some people are meant to have lives that are bitterly joyful.

Just like eating fruits is necessary but have to be consumed in controlled and healthy portions, pain is necessary but have to be allowed into you in controlled and healthy portions.